Thursday, April 28, 2011

Meat From Some Clean-Living Animals!

Part of living a cleaner life is paying attention to what you put in your mouth. Washing our food and dirty hands has hopefully become routine since kindergarten, but conscious healthy eating keeps us looking clean inside and out without expensive cleansing or toxin removal procedures.

 My daughter Marissa now confesses that she enjoyed eating dirt for a time as a child. I don't know whether she had some nutritional deficiencies, but she was always a healthy child as far as I can remember. Perhaps those cheese buns she learned to prepare for herself in the microwave were not satisfying enough--her body craved something more mineral.


Good things come from dirt sometimes. According to the creation narrative, the first man was formed from the dirt. Well, maybe he wasn't all that good, as he was later tempted by his foodie wife--spoiling everything when he accepted from her a tasty bite of pomegranate!


Anyway, this week we received another installment of dirt-grown-grass-fed organic beef from daughter Rebecca--which I described last year: http://retiringrose.blogspot.com/2010/05/rebecca-saves-day-may-7-2010.html

This year, the freezer is on, still holding a lot of deer meat, kept for my aunt. The grass-fed meat will stay safely cold for months in that new chest freezer in the garage: http://retiringrose.blogspot.com/2010/11/deer-in-freezer-november-20-2010.html


 As I recall, the buffalo meat from last year's shipment was raised on grass growing out of the clean prairie dirt of my home state of South Dakota (where the skies are not cloudy all day). This shipment also includes some ostrich, which will be new to me and can be added to my fowl list--peacock, pheasant, goose, turkey. The husband has previously sampled ostrich at the Carnivore in Kenya. (Carnivore restaurant reviews)

 Also, for fun, she ordered some tongue. I have a history with beef tongue which I will write about one of these years. The last two recent times I had tongue--in a Cuban restaurant in South Florida and from a bay leaf-seasoned crock pot in Rebecca's kitchen--I was disappointed. With this (grass-fed tongue!) I am going to prepare the most gourmet tongue meal ever and take closeup photos (with the ridges on top from the taste buds Picassa-enhanced) so you can all drool with envy!

For clean and healthy living (if you suspect, like I do, that you are a meat-eating-nutritional-type-metabolism-person), grass-fed organic beef (meat) is where it's at! Not all of us can afford to eat optimally at every meal, but we can all make a conscious effort to put simple foods grown on and in God's good earth into our mouth whenever possible. Last night, for instance, I had a dinner of boneless skinless chicken breast cooked in olive oil with sauted red onions and green, yellow, and red peppers; for dessert, some fresh plump strawberries with a dollop of whipping cream. I felt good about that meal. I could have easily added French bread and cake (brioche and brioche?) to fill out the meal, and not felt nearly as good about it (in my mind) or felt as good (in my body).

 As local spring and summer vegetation becomes more available (asparagus spears have poked their heads out of the earth but are afraid to emerge further into this cold, wet, Michigan spring), I hope to renew efforts to get back to eating more food arising out of the dirt from which I came (dirt--dust of the earth, Adam, Adam's Rib, Eve, me) and to which I will return--in an urn! The grass-fed beef is a wonderful addition to my "larder," helping to facilitate the realization of my goal--eating healthily, that is. Kinda hoping that urn thing doesn't happen just yet. (I apologize for slipping into late-night silliness--at least, considering all the dirty references, I kept it pretty clean). Thanks again, Rebecca and Gustavo!

My word of the day: larder--look it up!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous Colombian Son-In-LawApril 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

    My tongue will probably have some reactions when I see the enhanced taste buds of your tongue recipe, but I sincerely doubt that drooling will be one of them. Good luck with your gourmet recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy the meat as much as I enjoyed this post! I, for the record, never ate dirt (as far as I know) but I still love the smell of a tomato plant and the taste of the raw green beans we used to pick and eat straight from the garden.

    ReplyDelete