Monday, April 11, 2011

Grandma is Moving--Oh No! More STUFF for us?

The 92-year-old grandparents are moving out of their three-bedroom condo soon to a two-room facility. In this year of trying to whittle away at my excess worldly baggage, what will my husband take home from his weekend visit to Chicago?


Well, I accumulated just a few more things. A nice bowl that I actually hinted for. And a chair to make a pair, both needing some repair:

The rule for clothing is to get rid of one, for example, shirt every time you buy a new shirt. Is this a good rule for household goods as well? I can do this. I found a bowl I don't use. It has been put in the resale-shop pile. We don't eat pasta anymore--that low-carb thing we do. I don't really have an extra chair in the house but I moved out a sofa in March to Marissa's house, so that will have to count.

He brought home a carved wooden end table as well, but my aunt would like to borrow it, as we don't have room for any more furniture right now. I'm storing a wall hanging for Rebecca and it is hanging in the empty space left when Marissa took back a Marushka--so nothing to get rid of!

Great Wall of China
I'm going to declare this practice as the 4th of Rose's Rules for Retiring--The IN AND OUT RULE. Buy a new book--give one away. Buy a new bra--throw one away.

I was actually a bit worried when I saw a full  car trunk, but much of it was not for me. One small box of files--letters my children wrote to Grandma, an  announcement of our wedding and random photos--a sorting project for next winter.

Also, three Lenox Boehm Bird plates in original boxes, from eleven Grandma purchased in the years 1970-1980. One plate is being distributed to each of the eleven granddaughters. Pictured is Rebecca's plate which I will hand-carry on the plane the next time I travel to Florida.


Lenox Boehm Bird--1974 Cardinals

No comments:

Post a Comment