![]() |
| Rebecca takes a tiny taste to see if rice is done |
Rebecca and Gustavo recently returned from a wonderful adventure in Spain, and with all things Spain still on the brain, they decided to "grill" paella in their new paella pan for our July 4th celebration Monday.
![]() |
| I had the task of trying to scrub the pan clean, using nothing abrasive. |
While not the usual fare for the Fourth of July, we easily accommodated this bit of culinary multi-culturalism that did not reflect our usual picnic-themed traditions for celebrating Independence Day. My husband likes anything that resembles a casserole and I am always up for a new food experience. However, we were eating outdoors, in a park-like setting, which was part of my usual childhood celebration and eating outside in the backyard always feels picnic-ish to me.
Furthermore, even though I don't list paella in my top ten favorite foods, this occasion to enjoy paella cooked on the fire from a charcoal Weber grill, served directly from a steaming pan set in the center of the patio table, along with the ambiance of dining in the fresh (if a bit steamy) outdoor air (with overhead fans humming, a fountain burbling and with a view of a sparkling pool) provided us with a wonderful (blog-worthy) meal that is representative of the sort of over-the-top-foodie-hospitality we have come to expect when we visit our favorite Florida couple! Whew! I think that was the longest sentence I have ever written.
And, not to be minimized, a pitcher or two of sangria (pictured below) helped to provide a festive air to our Spanish/American celebration.
In a nod to the holiday we were celebrating, Rebecca also made a low-fat, crustless, Splenda cheesecake, topped with berries, a healthy choice for dessert and also low-carb--kind of a farce, after all the rice and sangria.







No comments:
Post a Comment