Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cool Food for July Heat


After the big Spanish-American July 4th USA Birthday Bash in Florida my daughter Rebecca had to return to work. As she left Tuesday she asked me to plan dinner. I wasn't sure if I had a car available--Erica had some appointments for her new job--and it was already a very hot day to walk to the nearby Publix, so I looked at her a bit blankly. She assured me I could find food in her freezer, etc. so I snooped around and pulled out some tuna steaks to grill, for starters; then the aha moment--one of my favorite healthy meals--Salad Nicoise.

I browsed a few recipes on my laptop and by 4:00 I had a car and was able to pick up some more add-ons. Turns out my foodie kids are not big olive lovers and Rebecca and Gustavo had had their fill in Spain. I bought some at the deli anyway, although not the Nicoise olives--which I have never actually used.

I added black beans and cooked new red potatoes, not standard components of the salad. Rebecca whipped up a dressing when she got home.

This meal does not satisfy in the same rich way as, for example, the pasta I had at their favorite local Italian cafe the next night--a rare and guilty pleasure for me. But the Nicoise is so pretty and healthy, and perfect for a hot summer evening. And the seared tuna steak was a treat for me. My husband, who likes all his food well-done, had already flown home, so I didn't have to cater to his tastes for the dinner.

The grillmaster shaking things up
Coarse salt and pepper, fresh oregano from the herb garden and white wine complete the Nicoise Salad

Here is an unusual salad that Rebecca made for our Sunday grilled cheeseburgers dinner. It combines fruit, vegetable and cheese--colorfully appealing and a complete accompaniment to grilled meat.

Watermelon balls, strawberries, roasted beets, goat cheese and mint leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment