Thursday, July 7, 2011

Oh No!--Erica is Moving

Erica leaving Michigan for Florida
Erica has moved to Orlando, Florida area to start a new job. She followed her sister's pattern from nearly 10 years ago and drove down with a LOADED car. Fortunately, she had almost no furniture and gave away all but her books, clothes and a few personal belongings. She even found a new home for Sam, her ball python snake. I personally am no longer responsible for a dresser from the Sand Lake cottage that had been in our possession at our college student rental house for 12 years. I temporarily have her desk chair and gave mine away to her roommate. (In and Out Rule applied!) A bike that had been in the family is now in Florida. So...I am left with about 10 additional boxes of this and that, mostly books, a down comforter and some art work--a smallish net gain of more stuff in my basement. But, I also got rid of a Sears X-cargo (see photo) car-top carrier that has been in the rafters of our garage since out last camping trip with the girls with the big Chevy Van about 10 years ago. That will hopefully be disposed of without cost in her apartment complex dumpster. So in pure cubic size of goods, perhaps I came out about even! And for Erica--a fresh, clean start.

I spent a few days in Florida, staying with Rebecca and helping Erica replace some of what she left behind. It is amazing how quickly one can spend $200 at Bed Bath and Beyond. Erica "showered" herself with some bright new bath accessories and some kitchen tools.

A trip to Ikea will be next, with her May birthday gift money and the promised moving reimbursement from her new employer.

The Salvation Army Store netted a few good finds which I spent a full hour scrubbing clean. I purchased and found effective a new-to-me cleaner--Bar Keeper's Friend. Here are two of the items we found:

Only $2.99
Fruit holder?

The fruit holder seems to be quite a conversation piece. Have you ever seen anything like it? Following all the scrubbing, I rewarded myself with a cold one and a dip in Rebecca's clean, warm yet refreshing pool. Glass bottles in the pool are strictly verboten, but I used this beer bottle for a prop and quickly removed it. Don't tell her.

Cleaning Rose cools off

1 comment:

  1. still waiting on that money!! ahhhh!! lol. still lovin' that fruit holder though :)

    ReplyDelete