Monday, July 18, 2011

My July Birthday - Too Hot to Clean or Cook!

Celebrating with a Golden Margarita made with Rose's lime juice!
 What to do on a hot July day? Go out for lunch and dinner! Actually, I was celebrating my birthday. At noon I picked up daughter Marissa from work and enjoyed this BLT with provolone and pesto Mayo on Panini-style English muffin toast. It really hit the spot, although it's a few weeks early for those first garden tomatoes that make you think you simply must indulge in a B-L-T sandwich.


At night, Marissa (and husband) picked me up and we joined my aunt and uncle and my husband for a wet burritos-and-drinks-dinner at an old favorite restaurant. That big margarita on an empty stomach almost put me under the table, but was really delicious. It was a thirsty, heat wave kind of day, and I sucked it down a little too quickly, enjoying the salty rim as well. I really am not that big a drinker, even though I talk about it a lot on my posts.

Facebook provided me with some birthday thoughts. I got an email from an old uncle who shares my birth day. Grandpa and Grandma called. Rebecca called twice. The niece, Denise, actually sent me a real card with a cake plate featured on the front. Erica sent me an e-card from Jib-Jab with my face inserted in the news feature. It was an unattractive photo of me that neither I nor my husband recognized and I wondered why she had sent that card until she called and explained. My aunt brought a bottle of limoncello to the restaurant, although again, I don't drink that much! Apparently something is still on its way from my Florida girls. Perhaps some wine...

 I called my brother who has a birthday three days later than mine so he could wish me Happy Birthday. He never calls me--and I hope to be staying cool in the Big Lake on his birthday. We had a conversation about how we managed to cope with the heat (or not) as kids on the farm. He mentioned providing mud holes for the pigs; also, that the cows would be damp with sweat at milking time. My Dad didn't "milk" anymore when I was old enough to remember much, so I know nothing about cows sweating--but of course, pigs don't sweat, so that's why they wallow in the mud. We all do what we have to do to survive.

Check out what was blooming on my birthday on A Rose in the Garden! http://agardeningrose.blogspot.com/2011/07/blooming-for-my-birthday.html

All in all, a very good birthday--and it will be even better if the government does not default on my first social security check which is scheduled to arrive in September!

2 comments:

  1. A BLT with pasta salad at noon, and then a big, sugary margarita and beef burrito for dinner - I think next year will have to be another Year of Living Leaner.

    ReplyDelete