Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Day at the Lake - South Haven, Michigan


I have a sister-in-law who loves the lake in the summertime. Although she has other relatives vying for visitation rights, Marissa and I usually find at least one day a summer to enjoy her slice of the South Haven area beach. This year the day turned out to be in the middle of HEAT WAVE 2011. As the dog-day afternoon waxed warmer, the only place I could be cool was in the lake. So I floated around on an inner tube for hours, with lots of sun screen applied--one can fry quickly in the waves of reflecting heat, sun, and water. Lake Michigan was as warm as I can remember. If you had checked the South Haven Visitor's Bureau site and clicked on current water temperature you would know that we were in the warmest part of the lakeshore, with surface temps recorded at 78.2-79 on the evening of July 21. When I checked the lake temps farther north on the Lake Michigan coast, the temps were much cooler. Even, nearby in Holland, MI the highest temperature was 77.5.

After dinner, the indoor heat index became downright oppressive, even though I stayed in my wet swimsuit. Marissa and I were eager to return to our air-conditioned car and homes. The few insufferably hot days in the lake cottages each summer don't usually dictate the need for central air-conditioning. And some years the lake water temperatures never reach the comfort level for the older swimmer--a quick splash to cool off and then a warm-up on the beach towel are often all the cold that I can tolerate. So it's carpe diem on a day when the lake is warm. But yet, when the weather is hot enough to heat up the Big Lake, it is also hot enough to max out my misery index. (I have previously revealed that my range of good temps is the 71.5 to 72 degree range.)


Keeping it cool with an easy dip of hummus, feta and chopped cucumbers, my niece accommodates my slow camera lens by pausing mid-dip. The salty dips and chips helped to replenish our lost minerals, although every time I indulge in chips, that inner voice reminds me that I have done a bad thing.

Guac Dip
A fish bowl
My sister-in-law cannot imagine why I have a blog, I am sure, but when she found out I was taking photos that might appear publicly, she made an effort to fancy things up a bit. The silver spoon looked  fine in the lovely green bowl of cucumber dip, but she thought an orange spoon might spice things up. She also grabbed some dill to garnish the dip. It was cute how quickly she slipped into food-blogger mode!

Before
After
Turning 21 soon enough, the grillmaster needs a cold one too!
We were lucky to have a young man around to do the grilling. His job for the day was to paint the interior of the new garage. The heat level in the garage was unbearable for work, I thought, but I am old and less willing to endure adversity. One other very young boy was keeping things toasty on the inside of my niece.

Double dipping? (Eating for Two)
Cottage decor can be fun: the nautical, the whimsical, the cutesy. I miss the Marushkas which have been replaced by pictures such as the one below of three boats. Sister-in-law K always has a tasteful collection of uber-cottage-cute boutique shop treasures around. The kids have helped by adding other works of art, such as the painted rock sculptures. There are often thousands of rocks on this section of lakeshore, providing the budding artist with a cheap canvas for self-expression.


A painted turtle?








And of course, there was wine and beer available...


As hot as it was today, blogging on the beach still trumps blogging in the basement. Tomorrow and tomorrow, my basement will still be there waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment