
Yes, time is marching on, faster and faster it seems to me ... and I am always running a little late. I don't know if a new watch will help, but I recently picked out a new Skagen wrist watch with the money (theoretically) that I received for my 60th birthday, over two years ago.
I'm even late to buy a watch!
When I was in the downtown Minneapolis Macy's with Marissa this past September I found what I thought was the perfect watch for me. I had to add a few dollars to the original amount received, but finally have a Skagen watch. I was so late that the promise for the watch pictured on the blog post about my 61st birthday had expired.
I had received $60 from Grandma V., the sixth sibling/spouse to arrive at the 60th year and receive the reward, and $30 from Aunt J. This watch actually was $118.55, with tax.
I have seen lower and higher prices for Skagen watches on the web, but this is the first one I really liked and had a chance to try on. I have at least one other functioning watch and always have a cell phone with me, so another watch was not really needed. Watches have become as much fashion as function. I love the simple, clean lines of this watch. It is a dark brown, not the black color I had originally liked.
My husband has some stiff back issues and recently bought himself a new tv chair he hoped would be more ergonomic, a recliner and ottoman, made in Denmark. I talked him into his Denmark-made Skagen watch over 10 years ago. The former Danish-scholar-son-in-law got a Skagen from Costco last year. We like the Danish stuff here, especially furniture. Never eat danish (danishes??) pastries, though.
![]() |
| Oops--when I checked under the chair, it was made in Norway, not Denmark. |
Curious, I looked up a little about Danish food. For Christmas, it's traditionally roast pork, goose or duck. The meat is accompanied by two kinds of potatoes, one a carmelized version cooked in sugar and butter. Red cabbage is also traditional, and vanilla-flavored rice pudding for dessert.They put apples and prunes in their stuffing. Sometimes they pool fried bacon and onion into the middle of their mound of mashed potatoes. Fried pork slices are served with a compote of apples, onions and bacon. Yum. Bacon, butter, sugar. I wonder about their incidence of heart disease? Maybe they are protected by the fish oil from the fish in their diet. And they probably don't eat like that every day.
Coming next year--A Danish Christmas!

I am excited for the Danish Christmas of 2012.
ReplyDelete-The former Danish-scholar-son-in-law