Friday, December 30, 2011

Time for Resolutions - Another Clean Start?

December 31 is only hours away and so far I've formulated only one (lame) resolution: I will weigh less at this time next year!

All life goals will hopefully continue, when I can remember them, but I am not planning to concentrate on anything particular, other than weight loss and general healthier living. And I am not going to blog about food or weight loss...

 Bored. Bored. Bored.

 Need more sunlight...might have to settle for some sunshiny limoncello!


Marissa made this for me!

I thought blogging would help me realize my goals. So far I have disappointed myself. It's been fun writing about my life, and I have always enjoyed taking photos, but sitting at a computer composing  blog posts has achieved little.

I am really annoyed this year (again) with the January magazines that come in the mail in December--right in the midst of the Christmas messiness, the feasting and the roasting of the fatted calf--touting diets and exercise plans and organizational how-tos. I put mine away. I will not look at them until the holidays are over. Martha's magazine was not so offensive: the main headline--"kitchens we love, secrets to style, color and organization."

My son-in-law S thinks I should write a Year of Living Meaner blog. I would start with those January magazines and how irritated I am looking at them. However, much of what I have to say could not be said publicly, so I am not likely to share any mean and angry posts.

My knees have been hurting this year. I actually think I have figured out that the way I get into cars (with a twisting motion) has injured them. I started protecting my right knee--now it feels okay--but forgot about my left knee. Now that knee hurts, especially going down the stairs. I think it is temporary, but it has been slightly painful since late November, whenever it is subjected to any bending motion. I wonder how many people suffer from this and don't know why?

BUT carrying around a (let's say, 10, 20, 30, even 40 pound) sack of flour (or blubber) cannot be a good thing for feet or knees, say nothing about heart, lungs and cholesterol levels!

Replacement parts are available. In our 60-something book club, one man got a new knee for Christmas, accompanied by lots of pain and a few days of near-coma status when a few too many drugs were administered. Three out of fourteen have a new hip or two, replaced when they were still in their 50's. One is avoiding the surgery like the plague. The husband has that newly-sculpted toe. If we hope to live to 90 years or so, it would be better to delay the new body parts for as long as possible; therefore, take care of the body you have!

I have been thinking about a kind of bucket list to get started on--to be fulfilled in those early retirement years--after I get that sack off my back, and before I need a rocking chair or a walker...

I mentioned in a post a few months ago that I wanted to take a horse-drawn carriage ride someday soon--a kind of small bucket item. Like magic, I got a gift certificate for just such a ride, in the mail, for Christmas, from some special people in Florida.

Bucket list...is it a good thing? Is it a misnomer for those of us with no known bucket to kick over in our near future?

Weight loss...what are the odds that it is achievable and maintainable?

The husband thinks he could happily do the rice and beans + greens thing, because he is not fussy, it is inexpensive, it can be low-fat, and low calorie, with portion control. Is that prudent? Is it healthy? It's probably not going to happen...

I'm thinking cave woman diet, paleo, learning to hunt and fish...

We both want to learn how to shoot straight this year--yes I mean a gun! Okay, that is definitely going on my bucket list!

I have been thinking about getting back to something in music. I have given up singing in a choir. My voice is just not that strong. I have an idea that involves one of the few things in life that I have ever been good at...

Lots to think about...

My mind is mostly blank, trailing off in dots...

Need more daylight...less limoncello...more things lemony clean.

____________________________________________________________________

Best of 2011? Trips with and to visit our children. Sharing good food with friends and family. Les Mis. Beethoven's 9th. Starting to get monthly checks back from the government. Enjoying health. (I cannot recall being sick even once--at the most a few days once, with cough and sniffles--or was that last year?) Flowers.

Worst of 2011? Weight up and down. (My) checkbook more down than up. Stock market up and down. Candidates for POTUS, rising and falling in the polls. Weather hot and cold. Grandparents: One up last month, one remains down here on earth for a few more days, weeks, months or years, but probably not decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment