Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ants on the Run

Usually winter weather signals an end to the territorial struggles between man and animal in the city. Man retreats to his (football) den or man cave and so does the bear. (There have actually been a couple of black bear sightings in urban areas of West Michigan this summer). See black bear

Unfortunately, this week I have seen a few large ants, single and black, seeking water in the bathroom or loving long walks through the house. They all met swift justice for their attempted breaking and entering--a scary swirl in cold water and final demise in the city sewer, or a quick burial in a white Kleenex shroud.

 I insist that the humans dominate my interior spaces at all times. Any mice that sought entry this fall have already been trapped or have succumbed (in unspeakable ways) to the D-Con in the garage. Spider activity seems to have slowed. The early spring march of ants into my kitchen has long ago been halted. Modern times and construction here in western civilization have allowed us to completely separate from the natural world if we choose to. I appreciate that, and have come to take it for granted. While others have had a skunk walk through an open door (G&G), a squirrel nesting in the chimney (P&K), or a bird falling into the fireplace (J&V), we have maintained an animal-free zone inside since our dog was put down about 10 years ago. I like it that way.

I went to lunch the other day in a very popular and respected area restaurant with a niece only to find a bird flying overhead, making a sweep over our gourmet mac and cheese. I was not happy. In the summertime you take your chances with flying things and surprise encounters of the stinging kind for the thrill of enjoying nature for a season. But one of the welcome things about winter is the respite from "when the dog bites, when the bee stings." We trade for "warm woolen mittens" to protect us from frostbitten fingers. And some of us look forward to the change.
Ant trap

It could be that we have not had enough consistently cold weather to discourage all the bugs. I hope the bugs aren't emerging from the plants that I am once again over-wintering in the basement! I also hope the ant problem is not a result of my failure to clean the spaces in the basement--my proposed project for this year. Only a few weeks until new resolutions for next year...

It is predicted to reach 54 degrees Fahrenheit by 8 AM and be back to 32 degrees by midnight tomorrow. I'm actually eager for that white slip-cover of snow which typically freshens our brown landscape in time for Christmas.

I am hoping I see no more black ants (or bears!) this year. Gold and silver, red and green, and a little cleansing white snow--those are the colors I welcome at this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment