Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Little Bloodletting and a Dairy Queen Birthday Cake

Today I finally did something that I have thought about for years--I volunteered to be a blood donor. In my younger years I suspected I needed all the red blood cells I could produce. But I have long believed the theory that it is wise to keep iron levels at a low normal, and the way you do that is to give up some blood!

I was also encouraged by a nurse friend at a church picnic the night before that I could still join in the previous day's blood drive at the church, which I had not been able to participate in.

I thought about taking pictures--but it would not have been cool. The Blood Center was very busy, with every table full--those lying down for about 10 minutes while their blood collects in a bag, and those sitting up for awhile afterwards for a free drink of choice and snacks. And who would want to see pictures of bags of blood?

At the entrance to the facility I spotted (a bright spot in another day of drizzling rain) some large rhododendron shrubs, so I took some closeups for use in my garden blog. So here is a picture of the shrubs at a side entry to the Blood Center:


I was new to all of this, but not intimidated. I answered many personal questions that were relevant to the purity of my blood. My only issue was aspirin--I was told they avoid giving blood with residual aspirin to babies, but that it is just fine for adult use.

Vitals were checked and my finger pricked for a sample. My hematocrit level, measured as a percentage of red blood cells to total blood volume was at 42. You have to be at a level of 38% to be accepted as a donor, which is a normal average for a woman, as I understand it. My goal next time (after at least 56 days--yes I will do it again) would be to register a level of say, 40.

I am not freaked out by blood or needles--I watched my third C-section via mirror with great interest. However, after giving blood and then lingering on the table for an additional 5-10 minutes, I did not feel so well upon standing. I have never fainted, but didn't want to fall on my head on the floor, so I thought it prudent to be cautious. A nurse walked over with me to the cookie table and I sat there awhile, indulging is some carb-loading with REAL Coke and cookies and salty pretzels. I don't know whether I felt light-headed from the sugar-high or from the blood loss! (They take about a pint--or about one pound). I finally realized I had to go and felt well enough to leave.

By now I was running late and still had to pick up grilling hamburgers and buns, etc. for Erica's birthday party, and a Dairy Queen oreo ice cream cake, which she had requested. After carrying the groceries into the house I once again felt a little weak. I had been advised to drink plenty and eat heartily--I don't think they meant to eat two pieces of ice cream cake, but the need to regain my energy was all the excuse I needed to indulge.

Erica's icecream-oreo cake
There was a Dairy Queen in a city located about 10 miles from the farm of my youth. A Dairy Queen cone (My recollection is that they were only 5 or 10 cents!) became my ultimate summer treat, along with frosted mugs of A&W rootbeer from the drive-in located a little farther down the drag through the middle of the city of about 10,000. Later I had many 15 cent sundaes from Zesto, which was across the street from the city pool. When we lived for awhile near the Indiana border in the 80's we would occasionally take the girls for a cone or a blizzard treat. We were told at that time that the ice cream in Indiana had a richer formulation--higher fat/cream level.

 I have pretty much given up the Dairy Queen habit since living in Michigan, but I don't know why . . . the cake was really delicious. I suspect that Erica will be back for another serving tomorrow. If not, I will continue to build up my blood cells.

I do think that cleaning out a little of the excess iron in my blood was a fitting thing to finally begin, in this, My Year of Living Cleaner.

 Additionally, as I was reminded at the Blood Center, "You are saving lives."

Factoid of the Day: Did you know that Warren Buffet's (primary shareholder and CEO) Berkshire Hathaway now owns Dairy Queen?

No comments:

Post a Comment