Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Clean Out of Iron!

A blood-red rose?
I got the call. We need your blood! It was just the local blood center calling to ask me if I wanted to make another donation.

Today I went in for a second donation of blood this year, only to be told that my iron level (hematocrit) was too low, at 37%--one point below the accepted level for donation of 38% or a hemoglobin level of 12.5 (12-16 is the normal range for a woman). These levels have been established by the FDA. I was trying to achieve a low/normal iron level with donation but may have to only donate once a year or so to achieve that goal, since I am now 1 point above the lowest normal level of 36 for a woman. The blood center told me that a donation of a pint results in a drop of about 3 points to the hematocrit level. The body will typically replenish that loss over time. I may try to donate once more at the church drive on November 15. If I am at 38 or 39 by then, I would feel comfortable in donating. Diet, stress, sleep, hydration, illness--all can affect the level, I was told. I do not want to take iron supplements or eat iron-fortified cereal just so that I am able to donate.

Why do I want a low/normal level? It's a long story, but just think about iron and oxidation--RUST!

There's an old Amy Grant song "Raining on the Inside." My first daughter listened to that song from Grant's award winning album Age to Age back in the 80's. I don't even remember what the song was about but I like to think about what it might feel like to be raining on the inside.

 Well... I don't want to be "Rusting on the Inside!"

Excess iron in the blood can be dangerous. (Okay, I do realize that I am in a safe range).

A larger problem in the world, really, is iron-deficient anemia. Iron in the blood cells is vital for carrying oxygen to all body parts and organs. Low iron (anemia) results  in low energy as well as other health problems. The best cure for low iron is to eat RED MEAT. Red meat (which includes venison and lamb) does not have a nice ring, but access to more meat could solve most of the anemia and many of the other nutritional deficits in the populations of the countries of the world. High iron levels in women that have regular menses are unusual. Vitamins for older women and men (over fifty) usually eliminate the iron. Women usually no longer need extra iron after menopause. Men...I'm not sure why their needs change!

I am not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one here. I am not going to lecture anyone on the benefits of a low/normal iron level. It's a theory that makes sense to me, but is not widely accepted as far as I have been able to determine with my minimal research. Let me just say this: Excess iron in the blood is like an anti-antioxidant. And we all  have come to believe in the benefits of antioxidants. I think too much iron in the blood can promote an inflammatory response and "stickiness." The baby aspirin I take daily combats those concerns as well, thinning the blood and reducing inflammation--and maybe even causing a small amount of bleeding that reduces iron levels! The end result hoped for (with thinner blood and less inflammation and oxidation--free radicals and all) is reduced heart disease and stroke--as well as a reduction in the amount and formation of plaque in the arteries (atherosclerosis).

Finally, there is no harm in paying attention to your iron levels when you get your next blood test or exam. Your doctor will certainly alert you if your levels do not fall within normal limits. But if your levels are on the high side of normal, consider donating--that is, if you think you have clean blood. The donation centers are very fussy and about who and what you may have come in contact with, so if you have ever eaten beef in England ("mad cow" disease) or had other unusual travel, drug use or sexual experiences--forget about it! If necessary you can submit to a "blood-letting" with a doctor's prescription. It's called therapeutic phlebotomy. People with the (rare) genetic disorder hematomacrosis need to have blood removed regularly. I suspect most doctors will not give you a prescription for therapeutic phlebotomy if your levels are within normal limits. I wonder if and when insurance covers such a procedure? I guess I'll just have to keep my blood clean, and donate. How about you? Providing blood is a wonderful service to the community!

Added November 15, 2011:

Had my blood checked again at a mobile unit at church and I seem to be stuck at a level too low to donate. Oh well. It was a good idea.

5 comments:

  1. Hematomacrosis is extrodinarily rare. It is very rarely beneficial to have blood removed from the body, except to others who need it. You're weird.

    -evr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The word weird is weird. And you have a weird spelling of extraordinarily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The line between weird and wrong keeps getting blurrier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dr source says it more like inflammation causes higher iron but a storage (protein) form of iron not higher iron causing inflammation. Anyway it sounds like the body has an amazing system for keeping iron in control so why not just let it do its job. Sounds like other than an overdose of iron supplements it not likely your body will get iron higher than what it can control.
    lwvb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to donate a third time and seem to be stuck at 37%, a very fine place to be, so I will just give up on donating for the year--hope you're all happy.

    ReplyDelete