Friday, September 30, 2011

On the Road Again! More Clouds and Turbines and a Wedding!



Two trips to South Dakota in one year, in the same month: this time I wandered off the beaten path a few times on the way back from nephew Dan's wedding in Sioux Falls; this time I drove, alone; this time I found out if the turbines hum.

The first day, Friday, was a marathon slog through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and South Dakota--about 13 hours on the road. Yea me. I did it by eating a whole pack of red licorice, popping lots of caffeine pills, stopping minimally and copping one brief power nap at a rest area.


The September clouds were once again spectacular.

9-23 at 6:27 PM
Approaching Sioux Falls late at night, I experienced one more view of all the wind turbines visible from I-90. They were lit up like fields of Christmas trees. I called my brother around 10:00 PM  to find out that the hotel he was staying in was totally booked but that there was a cheaper, walk-in rate at the old Holiday Inn where the rest of my relatives were staying. My relatives were annoyed when they found out I got a discounted rate for walking in off the street! I was settled in my room by midnight. The only food available (my snacks were all eaten) was from a machine in the game room. So I had cheetos and a lukewarm beer from my cooler. Disgusting.

Wedding events still under construction......

The wedding reception was held at the Clock Tower Museum in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where, of course, a stuffed buffalo was prominently displayed.


Old Courthouse Museum - Sioux Falls
The museum has some unusual exhibits
Wonder Woman underoos
On Sunday noon I left Sioux Falls and traveled on expressways with views of corn fields and turbines to Maplewood, MN, where I spent the night with my brother and his wife. (I did a bit of off-roading on gravel  to capture the following photos):




Used zoom for this one!
The next evening I had dinner with my cousin Linda in Madison Wisconsin at Paisan's, a popular Italian eatery long established in the area of the recently famous (in the news for protests) Capitol Building. I had a taste of a local Wisconsin brew, Spotted Cow, and enjoyed a wonderful sandwich along with a taste of Paisan's famous pizza. The view from the windows was lovely, even on a dark and windy day.


View of Lake and Linda


Italian Meatball on french bread with mozzarella and Parmesan










The huge meatball sandwich (click on it and drool) was not what I needed sitting in my stomach all the way home, but it was as delicious as it was messy to eat. I would have it again, although Linda had the pizza (for which they are especially famous) and it was also excellent.

I decided to sleep in my own bed and battled rain and semi-trucks and drowsiness in order to arrive home in West Michigan about 3:15 AM - (only 2:15 in the time zone of the trip!).

One final note: The whooshing (?) hum under the turbine on a slow-wind day was very easy on the ears. The swishing of the dry ears and stalks of corn up-close was very loud and annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment