Friday, August 19, 2011

Another Day at the Lake - Holland, MI


Sailboats returning  in the setting sun

Mid-week in mid-August we had another opportunity to enjoy our Great Lake here in Michigan. We were invited, along with two other couples to go sailing. It was a rare perfect summer evening--it must have been about 72 degrees--with a gentle breeze and sunshine. A day like this seems to make up for all the other days when I complain bitterly about the weather here in Michigan.

We all brought snacks and wine and a wonderful time was had by all. The only food I photographed was a container of homemade chocolate mint cookies. After sailing we topped off the evening with ice cream sundaes at the shop where President George W. Bush stopped when he was campaigning for a second term, in September, 2004. I attended that rally. It was a big deal for the president to stop at the ice cream shop and it was a big deal for a president to visit Holland, Michigan. I remember the extra security, including snipers on the rooftops, canine units and the large entourage of vehicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment