Thursday, March 3, 2011

To Save or Not to Save - Wall Art from Grandma

Yes, that is the question--making that final decision to never see something again. Occasionally I have had a piece of furniture or art in my house that is so ugly that I can't wait to replace it with something else; but usually I become rather attached to my stuff, and say to myself, "Well, maybe we could use it in a cottage some day."-- as long as I have room in the basement. I've kind of given up on the notion of owning a cottage and am running out of excuses for some of the old linens and odd furniture pieces I still store in corners of my large basement. We still use one dresser to which I have no attachment. I would throw it out on the street today if I had a more stylish substitute. Shortly after I moved into an apartment, after I graduated from college, an old man a few doors down died. I was able to buy his bed and dresser for a $100--complete with bedding. Yuk--I wonder if he died in bed? I still have the striped Hudson Bay-style wool blanket that came with the bed and I still have that Early American-style dresser. I am going to try to find a good substitute for that dresser this year.

Every object has a story. I have three "paintings" that were gifts from my husband's mother. Now that she is 92 and mostly home-bound, I could find new homes for them without offending her--I would first ask relatives if they had any interest. She will never know unless she happens to read this blog. Shhh.

Here is a church scene she did a couple decades ago when she was actively painting and taking some art lessons. I would like it to go to a new home, preferably in the family--it can hang in their basement!


Here is another work that her art teacher painted during a session with him in the early 70's, with her direction as to what she thought I would like to display in our Oak Park, IL apartment. The colors "don't work" for me anymore, but it hangs on a wall in my basement. Who would like it?


I also have an original water color from Long Grove, Illinois. (I googled the artist with no success--it probably is not valuable). Grandma had it matted and asked me to choose a frame for it which she agreed would be reimbursed. Perhaps she was thinking of a frame like the two above. I was thinking that original art should be framed with integrity, complementing the work, whatever the cost. I didn't realize, even with 70's rates, how expensive professional framing was. I chose barn wood and non-glare glass etc., that was recommended by the framing store. I think she was in the $20 range and was shocked to find out what I had spent--I don't recall the exact amount (perhaps $70) and don't remember exactly how it worked out--I think I asked her just to give me the amount she had imagined the framing would cost. My memory is that this episode cemented in her mind, early in our relationship, that I had somewhat extravagant tastes and could not be easily pleased! The green matting color has always made me cringe a little, but otherwise it is a nice piece. I would like to give it a new home, preferably in the family, so I will entertain offers/exchanges. I would feel better if it stayed within its current frame which I so carefully chose, accenting the antique barn motif of the watercolor and sublimating my own wood preferences. I could have it re-matted to better accommodate a more neutral color scheme. I think my husband's sister is interested. Does any one else have some love for this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment